Re: Link from paper to source code [was: attach lilypond code in pdf]

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: Link from paper to source code [was: attach lilypond code in pdf]
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 23:41:15 +0200

2012/7/11 Da Mota Sam <address@hidden>:
>>> for a very different purpose, here is my approach.
>
> Agreed: it is for a different purpose.

That's why I changed the subject line to create a new thread.

> The Qr code may be nice for smartphones, once the sheet is printed.

Once the sheet ins printed there is no way to follow a link, other
than typing it by hand.

> But for people using the pdf file (not the printed version), having a
> clickable link is may more usefull/ easy to use. As it already is the
> case now. I can click on the default tagline ("engraved with lilypond
> version xxx") and my firefox goes to lilypond website.

Once you have the electronic document, everything is possible. I you
don't have it, the paper is the end of the story. One can type
"lilypond.org" easily in his browser if he sees it in the tagline, but
not much more.

In my opinion, a link in the PDF to an online resource  is a
complement to files attached to the PDF. The drawback is that links
need a text or image to exist.

Two or three methods exist for making the document in 'dead trees' to
become a live object via links:

  - One is to link to a metadata page which includes the electronic
document, the source file, and other info.
  - Another one is to link directly to the PDF. This would have a
clickable link to the metadata which in turn would include a link to
the source file.
  - Or, you can link directly to an online file with the lilypond
source. This would include all metadata in comments and a link to the
PDF. This option seems to be cumbersome to create. And links in text
files are not immediately clickable.
  - The PDF itself could contain the metadata in a readable form. This
is more or less the option mutopia project uses. I find that ugly.

Well, those were four options. Possibly the first option is the best.

Some find QR codes aesthetically interesting...
--
Francisco Vila. Badajoz (Spain)
www.paconet.org , www.csmbadajoz.com