Installing LilyPond man pages

From: macula
Subject: Installing LilyPond man pages
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 10:58:28 -0700 (PDT)

Dear collective wisdom,

For the life of me, I have been trying to make the LilyPond man pages
accessible on MacOS. I am a reasonably experienced user of the Mac terminal
(Bash shell) but this seemingly simple challenge has defeated me. I have
tinkered with the /etc/man.conf file, tried the "manpaths.d" method, even
tried to just dump the LilyPond man files in the standard
/usr/local/share/man. Nothing, absolutely nothing has been successful.

In a nutshell: if any of you MacOS users has successfully done this, could
you please tell me how? Where did  you place the man files? And did you make
any modifications to /etc/man.conf?

Thank you!