Re: GOP2-2b - Stable 2.16.x releases (dictator) (probable decision)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GOP2-2b - Stable 2.16.x releases (dictator) (probable decision)
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 20:51:20 +0100

On Wed, Aug 01, 2012 at 08:10:26PM +0200, John Mandereau wrote:
> Il giorno mer, 01/08/2012 alle 18.08 +0100, Graham Percival ha scritto:
> > The first step is to make it
> >   work in "make website", which is infinitely easier than trying
> >   to do anything in GUB.  This is a relatively easy thing to fix,
> >   so it might make sense to leave it for a relative beginner...
> >   OTOH, the bug has existed for two years, so might as well tackle
> >   it now.
>
> I guess that if we want the release number in "make website", we want it
> in HTML footers and manuals, don't we?

I was particularly thinking of the download links and links to
docs (on both the Downloads page and the Development page).  That
needs to do build number -> python -> texinfo macros -> html.  But
at least it's fully debuggable just with "make website", without
bringing in the hour of a normal "make doc".

I'm not sure offhand how to get the build number, since we don't
put it into VERSION.  Maybe check the http directory and grab the
filename if there's an internet connection, or else not default to
-1 ?

> IMHO patch level numbers are cheap, as it doesn't often happen to
> release twice within two or three days.

ok, I suppose we could just not bother with this, then.

- Graham