Re: Sibelius Software UK office shuts down

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: Sibelius Software UK office shuts down
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2012 11:37:11 +0100

On 02/08/12 17:51, Graham Percival wrote:
In short: if there is a concerted effort to create a "quick
render" output, I would be absolutely shocked if it wasn't at
least 10 times faster than the current output.

(1) How paralellized is the current code -- and if not much or at all, what do you think the scope is for doing so? E.g. once basic pagination is in place, could all other elements be engraved in separate per-page threads? Likewise, any parts of a score separated by an explicit page break could be engraved by separate threads.

(2) Are there any statistics on compile time vs. input file size? It doesn't necessarily help Lilypond to be blazingly fast on a 2-page, 4-part choral score if it's horrendously slow in a 100-page full-orchestra operatic score. I recall that Valentin's opera was a nightmare to render both in terms of time and of memory used along the way.

(3) The real speed issue is not so much from-scratch compile times but recompile times -- how long _should_ it take to re-render the score if e.g. I add a single staccato dot to one note?

Sibelius' publicity always used to make much of the fact that if Wagner had wanted to add a new bar at the start of the entire Ring Cycle, using Sibelius it would have taken no more than 1 second. That kind of speed-of-tweaking may be worth more than speed of first compile -- ideally, you'd be able to type stuff into the editor in e.g. Frescobaldi, and see the score change in front of your eyes.