Re: Sibelius Software UK office shuts down

From: Neil Thornock
Subject: Re: Sibelius Software UK office shuts down
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 07:24:06 -0600

> It is easy to see how these events could  help lilypond long-term, but
> it's also easy for any response from us to be interpreted negatively.
> Let the Sibelius users have their personal moment of pain/mourning; if
> they need open-source music notation, they will certainly be able to
> find us without our help.

>From my perspective, the loss of Sibelius is bad for *everyone* with a
stake in music. I never used Sibelius; I never liked it. But many did,
and many found their first creative voice through the software. I
don't think its retraction will leave a void that will simply be
filled by something else.

It's a possible sign that music -- the type many of us are involved in
-- is losing in the greater culture war. It's not "LilyPond vs
Sibelius vs Finale" but rather "Quality Music vs Cheap Entertainment."

We're losing.

--
Neil Thornock, D.M.
The recent premiere of ...and a bunch of other stuff: