Re: Sibelius Software UK office shuts down

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: Sibelius Software UK office shuts down
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2012 11:29:54 +0200

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 9:52 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> Since the main problem in that article is to deal with the "I can't read
> this, even though I (probably) can write it" aspect of LaTeX which is
> pretty much the same problem space for LilyPond, it might be useful to
> go idea-fishing.
>
> I think that the mock-up approach used by LyX would usually already make
> most people happy (page layout control not being required on a permanent
> basis).  At any rate, I think that an efficient workflow should try
> avoiding the need for more than a single editing window.

I agree, at least partly.  LyX-like approach of giving a
rough-but-human-readable preview - represented by Denemo in Lilypod
world - appeals to me strongly.  There are only two things that
prevent me from using Denemo.
First one is lack of source preservation (i.e. Denemo requires Lily
files to be organized in a particular way.  This means that i cannot
structure my source as i wish, and also there are problems with Lily
files not made by Denemo).
The second problem is tweaking output, for example modifying shape of
a slur.  It doesn't make sense to do this in the rough preview.  I
think the best solution to this problem would be to improve
point-and-click-based functions of editors like Frescobaldi.  Wilbert
said that it should be possible to move objects around in
Frescobaldi's pdf view: for example, to grab a dynamic like this one
http://news.lilynet.net/local/cache-vignettes/L405xH213/flat-dot_figure-13920.png
with a mouse, move it in pdf view and have Frescobaldi insert
appropriate offset override to the source.  Of course, such an
override might influence spacing or something, and this influence
would be visible only after recompiling.  But then, this feature would
be used mainly for small touchups.

Bottom line: i believe in a threefold editor, consisting of:
- source view for setting up the structure and advanced hacking
- rough preview for easy note entry
- pdf view for final point-and-click touchups.

How do you like it?
Janek