How to get a (rhythmic) dot to follow a barline

From: David G
Subject: How to get a (rhythmic) dot to follow a barline
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 11:20:56 +0100

I would like to put a dot after the barline to show (something like) a crotchet tied to a quaver - or according to http://ranumspanat.com/jacquet_dots.htm subtly different(!)

It's more clear in this Beethoven string quartet: http://erato.uvt.nl/files/imglnks/usimg/2/28/IMSLP04769-Beethoven_-_String_Quartet_No.15_Dover.pdf e.g. page 17, second system, fourth bar violin 2 and 'cello; fifth bar viola.

I did find this thread http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2005-05/msg00122.html from seven years ago through the search but it didn't seem to come to any solid conclusion, so I was wondering if things were different now?

I am not concerned about MIDI output etc., so I would be happy to use an invisible rest and insert the dot as an "independent" object if possible? In a broader sense, that means being able to insert an arbitrary object. Any help/pointing me to the right part of documentation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!