Need to force reinstall of LP when just adding doc?

From: James Harkins
Subject: Need to force reinstall of LP when just adding doc?
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 11:16:16 +0800

After upgrading my system, initially I installed lilypond without
documentation. Today, I wanted to go back and add the documentation*, but not
change the lilypond version. But the Linux installer script forces you to
uninstall the binaries and then reinstall them, even though the binaries were
not going to change.

Would it be possible, in a future release, to change the handling of the --doc
switch so that it would only install the documentation, if the script finds
that the same version of lilypond is already installed? Or it could prompt to
ask the user, something like "Lilypond version 2.15.blahblah is already
installed. Keep it and just add the documentation [Y/N]?" If yes, go ahead and
download the documentation. If no, do what it does now -- complain that it's
already installed and instruct the user how to uninstall by hand.

hjh

* Because sometimes I have to work on an lp score in a place without internet
access.

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
address@hidden