Re: Bar number inconsistency with repeats and partial bars?

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: Bar number inconsistency with repeats and partial bars?
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 17:36:17 +0200

On 14 August 2012 13:34, Nick Payne <address@hidden> wrote:
> In the example below, Lilypond doesn't count the initial partial bar when
> numbering the bars, but the partial bars at the end of the first repeat and
> beginning of the second repeat each get their own bar number. Commercial
> scores I have with this repeat structure treat these two bars as though they
> are one for the purposes of numbering the succeeding bars. To get the same
> numbering in Lilypond I have to explicitly set the bar numbering at the
> beginning of the second repeat.
>
> I had a look in Gould but couldn't see any recommendation for how the bars
> should be numbered in this situation.

Hi Nick,

If you do not change the measure length at the end of the first volta
and at the beginning of the second one you get the correct output,
AFAICS.

%%%% Lily code

\version "2.15.43"

\relative c'' {
  \override Score.BarNumber #'break-visibility = #'#(#t #t #f)
  \repeat volta 2 {
    \partial 4 c4 |
    c c c c |
    c c c
  }
  \repeat volta 2 {
    c |
    c c c c |
    c c c c |
    \set Score.measureLength = #(ly:make-moment 3 4)
    c c c |

%%%% End of lily code

Cheers,
Xavier