Re: Paralellizing Lilypond [was: Re: Sibelius Software UK office shutsdo

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Paralellizing Lilypond [was: Re: Sibelius Software UK office shutsdown]
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 21:00:28 +0200

Lucas Gonze <address@hidden> writes:

> I made the same switch and am happy about it. I'm not as fast with
> Lilypond yet, but am getting there.
>
> I especially like that that my scores won't become uneditable whenever
> I stop buying upgrades from Sibelius.

How would that happen?  I would imagine that if you keep your scores and
software version unchanged, they should remain working on a given
system.  Unless somebody else edits them with a newer version and sends
you the results.  You'll have the same backward compatibility problem
with LilyPond (or pretty much any software) in that case, but the
human-readable format makes it more likely to wedge in a
backward-compatible replacement at the problematic places.  And of
course, there is no need to _buy_ upgrades.

--
David Kastrup