Re: clef change confuses manual key signature

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: clef change confuses manual key signature
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 13:50:19 +0200

On 2012-08-15 01:30, David Kastrup wrote:
David Rogers <address@hidden> writes:

On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 23:47:52 +0200
Reinhold Kainhofer <address@hidden> wrote:

Some old handwritings have e.g. the f sharp in the keysignature not
at the top line, but between the lowest and second-lowest line. If
you want to create an authentic reprint of the autograph, you might
also want to preserve the way the keysignature was printed...

You're right; I didn't think of those. But is that what's happening in
this situation?

So the idea would be that the key signature is valid over all octaves,
and the octave specification is just for printing the signature itself.

I have looked at both Gardner Read and Gould.

Gardner Read gives several examples from Bartok's Mikrokosmos (e.g. Mikrokosmos No.44 where the first piano has the key signature fis-gis, in the right hand with treble clef both are placed at the second staff line from the bottom, in the left hand with bass key they are placed at the second staff line from the top - like Roger does in his example in the second system). He does not speak at all about the validity of the accidentals to other octaves, but I understand this as silently implying they are valid vor all octaves.

Elane Gould says on p.94 in the section "Key signature in non-tonal or polytonal music - Unconventional Key Signatures": "Any sharp of flat may be selected as a key signature to alter all octaves of the selected pitches."
(She also gives an explicit example, a scan of this section is attached)

I couldn't find any reference to an accidental only applying to the one particular octave it is printed in.

So, basically, I couldn't find any reference where an accidental would only apply to one octave. Rather, everything in those two standard references points to validity in all octaves...

Of course, I don't know if any really modern composer already takes advantage of lilypond's current way (accidental applies only to the printed octave)...

Cheers,
Reinhold

Reinhold Kainhofer, address@hidden, http://www.kainhofer.com
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886