Re: clef change confuses manual key signature

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: clef change confuses manual key signature
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 16:52:52 +0200

On 08/15/2012 04:14 PM, address@hidden wrote:
Lilypond docs do not seem to explain any way to print the key signature
>>>accidentals on different lines than standard, except for this crazy method
>>>where the alterations count for just one octave.
>>>
>>><speculation>
>>>There was no way to alter the printing of the key signature,
>>>someone needed to do so, found the data structure for the local key
>>>signature that tracks transient accidentals, including octave, used
>>>that as a way to serve his need, and posted to the snippets list.
>>><end speculation>

Well, the feature to be able to typeset nonstandard key signatures has existed for a very long time in LilyPond (long before we had LSR, if I remember correctly) and it might initially have been my "fault". I needed the feature while trying to typeset some of the Mystery sonatas by Biber, which are written in scordatura, i.e. a violin with a non-standard tuning. In these pieces, the notation reflects how you should press the fingers, not what it should sound like. Therefore, the key signatures look very weird and actually do differ from octave to octave, see for example Sonata III at http://imslp.org/wiki/Special:ImagefromIndex/48908. In this application, you can clearly not expect to change the clef and hope to get anything sensible out of it, and there's no need to do it. I have a vague recollection of having seen some modern piece using different key signature for different octaves as well, but I might be wrong.

   /Mats

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        School of Electrical Engineering