Re: TextSpanner duplicates text after \break

From: Ian Hulin
Subject: Re: TextSpanner duplicates text after \break
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 12:00:46 +0100

Hi Daniel,

I am copying this reply to the support list. Please could you reply/all
when you answer so the bug-squad will see it.

Please could you let us know the LilyPond version on which you observed
the problem?

Also, could you tell us how you envisage using this feature.  As a
player, I find the reminder on 8va passages useful at line breaks.  I'm
asking the question so I can determine whether this would be a
real-life, useful facility or simply whether you have found a
rarely-used corner case.

I have reproduced the behaviour as follows with the latest development
version.

The documented interfaces for text spanners and ottava brackets *are*
inconsistent, since the manuals recommend changing the text for the
ottavation spanner using \set Staff.ottavation (see below), while the
Text spanners use nested properties within a \override command.

(Developers: potential GLISS topic?).

To get the behaviour you want would probably entail adding a new Staff
property Staff.ottavation-broken.

Please let me know the answers to the above questions so I they can be
included in our issue tracking system.

\version "2.17.0"
\relative c' {
  \override TextSpanner #'(bound-details left text) = "rit."
  \override TextSpanner #'(bound-details left-broken text) = ##f
  \override OttavaBracket #'(bound-details left-broken text) = ##f
  \ottava #1
  \set Staff.ottavation = #"octave"
  c''4 d2. \startTextSpan\break |

  e2. f8. g16\stopTextSpan |