Re: dynamics (and hairpins) attached to rests vs dynamics attached to no

From: Tiresia GIUNO
Subject: Re: dynamics (and hairpins) attached to rests vs dynamics attached to notes
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 22:30:07 +0200

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 07:03:06 -0700 (PDT)
eluze <address@hidden> wrote:

> Tiresia Giuno wrote
> >

> > The attached examples are quite simple, in my score with more
> > complex music, such behavior leads to quite strange situations.
> >
> > Am I right and if so, which would be the easiest solution?
> >

> probably the simplest is to use dynamic contexts and withdraw the
> dynamic engraver in the normal staff:
>
> musicOne = { a'4 \< ~ a'\pppp ~ a'\> r4 \! }
>
> <<
>   \new Staff \musicOne
>   \new Dynamics \musicOne
> >>

> \layout {
>   ragged-right = ##f
>   \context {
>     \Voice
>     \remove New_dynamic_engraver
>   }
> }
>

> this way you can reuse the same voice/staff with the dynamics in it
> (of course you can also use a separate voice with spacers for the
> dynamics…)
>
> hth
> Eluze

Thanks for your answer!

I avoid using the Dynamics Context, because it places dynamics far away
from the staff (even if with LP 2.15 it looks much better)- and hairpins
are still slightly misaligned, see attached file.

I can't really remove the New_dynamic_engraver, because it is an
orchestral score, and I would loose the dynamics for the other
instruments.

Thanks, TG