Re: \override Hairpin #'minimum-length

From: Tiresia GIUNO
Subject: Re: \override Hairpin #'minimum-length
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2012 08:00:53 +0200

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 21:05:12 -0700
address@hidden wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can any of you Lilypond people tell me why the "\override Hairpin
> #'minimum-length …" does not actually seem to control the length of
> the hairpin? Am I missing something here?
>

> \version "2.14.2"
> \relative c'' {
>       \once \override Hairpin #'minimum-length = #5 \afterGrace
> c4\<  s1\! c4 c4 c4
>
>       % here the hairpin is too short
>       \once \override Hairpin #'minimum-length = #5 \afterGrace
> c4\<\ppp  s1\!\fz c4 c4 c4 }
>

> regards,
>
> Mika Kuuskankare

The minimum-lenght property is set by default at 2.0 (staff spaces),
see:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.14/Documentation/internals/hairpin

In the second bar of your example, setting it to #5, it's still too
short, because you added dynamics as well (ppp and fz). If you want the
same lenght of the first hairpin you should increase the minimum-lenght
till #11 - or something like this.

Of course this will increase also the distance between the first two
notes.

Regards,
TG