Re: Waltrop meeting outline

From: Rodolfo Zitellini
Subject: Re: Waltrop meeting outline
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 17:16:23 +0200

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 3:02 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> Details are still somewhat fuzzy since I don't have all that much
> feedback concerning who will arrive when and leave, but there are some
> corner points.
>
> Apparently Janek will be arriving in advance.  No details yet as to his
> exact travel time and accommodation wishes: like anybody else not having
> mentioned anything, I count on him bringing sleeping bag or other
> bedcloths.
>
> Marc mentioned coming as well as Rodolfo.  Rodolfo wanted to talk about
> using LilyPond in a professional print environment, as they are starting
> a new series of printed music books ("Musik aus Schweizer Klöstern").
>
> As Marc was not able to work the stock instrument I can offer here, he
> was thinking of bringing his left-handed guitar.  I have no precise idea
> about the exact dates of those two participants and whether it might
> make sense for them to organize sharing a car part of the trip (Munich
> and Zurich, IIRC).
>
> Harm/Thomas Morley intended to come on Saturday, stay probably until
> Monday and camp on the premises.
>
> John and Graham will be there essentially the whole time, John bringing
> a sleeping bag.  We'll find a bed for Graham since he does not own a
> sleeping bag and arrives by plane.  Mike arrives on Saturday noonish and
> will leave on Tuesday noonish.
>
> I'll dig out suitable connections for people arriving at Düsseldorf by
> flight/high speed train later.
>
> The schedule would focus on stable release work and criteria on Friday,
> with the goal of getting most participants hands-on experience or at
> least exposure to GUB work.  Coursework goal is the release of 2.16, and
> getting the computing facilities up and running.
>
> Saturday and Sunday are focused on programming courses.  Nils Gey asked
> for the best single day to come and talk about Laborejo and likely also
> music production in general, and I considered Sunday to be likely best
> fit.  We'll probably put pure/unpure and other backend programming stuff
> from user level on Saturday, also general Scheme programming and
> frontend syntax stuff.
>
> On the weekend, I would like to squeeze in at least some entry-level
> "garbage-collection and other Guile/C++ interaction" and possibly some
> "what kind of syntax can be achieved and debugged at the C++ level with
> reasonable effort" discussion, with the more heavy-handed stuff being
> put on Monday.
>
> In case of "let's see what kind of release work we can get done", 2.17.0
> might be possible on Sunday or Monday.  We should at least arrive at a
> good agreement about how to tackle the humongous 2148 merge which is
> definitely called for post-2.17.0.
>
> --
> David Kastrup

I can confirm I will arrive from Fribourg Friday 24th at 15:21 in
Dortmund, I still have figure out the time it will take with the U41.
I will leave sometime in the morning of tuesday, as my plane in
Cologne leaves at 14.44. I will be arriving by train, so if someone is
based in Swiss or near we can arrange for the trip (or to share a car,
as David proposed)
I will bring my sleeping bag, should I bring a sleeping pad too?

I would like to be present all day the 24th, but I am not sure I can
make it the 23th. One topic I think would also be nice to touch is
promoting LilyPond and how we can valorize all the music that is in
Mutopia (I saw, for example, that there are much of Bach's organ
works). Also we can continue to discuss on how to speed up compiling
music - as this is one of the first things everyone notices ("but it
takes 40 minutes to create the book!"). If there is a way I can help
as a programmer I will be certainly glad to (not that I am that good,

I will bring my computer along - it is a macbook, if we need to try
LilyPond on macosx (10.7.4, not upgraded yet :), but I can create a
Linux VM for developing in this environment if needed.

At last, how are we organized for the food? I love cooking, so if
needed I will gladly give a hand.

Ciao!
Rodolfo