Re: subito dynamic after hairpin

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: subito dynamic after hairpin
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 02:51:39 -0700

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 20:50:29 +1200
wjm <address@hidden> wrote:

> You wrote:-
> +++++++++++++++++
> Hi, I am trying to make a decrescendo end in a subito dynamic for the
> next note. ..... +++++++++++++++
>
> Given that sfz is equal to subito-forzando
> (see
> http://piano.about.com/od/termsrelatingtodynamics/g/GL_subito.htm)

That page at piano.about.com is incorrect (and silly). sfz is not
equal to subito forzando; it seems that the English-speaking about.com
writers weren't sure what any of these words meant, and decided that
instead of simply checking an Italian dictionary, they would make
something up. In fact, "sforzando" is an ordinary and legitimate word,
not an abbreviation for anything else, and in fact the word "subito"
is rarely (probably never) represented in scores by a single letter
"s" - too vague. ("sub." gets used fairly often, but perhaps even
more often the word is spelled out.)

It's sad that people (this is directed at the about.com hacks, not at
you) see fit to publish made-up definitions of words they don't know.

My criticism of the clueless & irresponsible writers of that page has
no bearing on the value of what you have contributed to the Lilypond
discussion. While your discovery is (through no fault of yours)
probably not useful in this particular situation, I hope it proves
useful for other purposes.

--
David R