Re: [for Italian users] how to translate "spanner"?

From: Tiresia GIUNO
Subject: Re: [for Italian users] how to translate "spanner"?
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 21:28:58 +0200

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 21:07:34 +0200
"address@hidden" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Chipping in as this issue came up in a talk I gave in France a few
> years ago.
>
> It seems that it'd be good to standardize this in Romance languages
> as much as possible.  I believe that during the talk I francofied «
>
> Other verbs for « span » in French would be :
>
> --enjamber
> --recouvrir
> --chevaucher
>
> The last two imply some sort of overlap whereas the first I'd only
> ever use to describe gothic vaults in cathedrals. Then again I'm not
> a native speaker, so perhaps a native speaker wants to chime in.
> There are other verbs that kinda work, but they're reflexive and
> would be difficult to turn into nouns.
>
> At any rate, I'm for vulgarizing English when appropriate.  In
> eyelid.  I received an e-mail in Italian recently that used the work
> guessing that Italian is itself filled with anglicisms.
>
> Cheers,
> MS

I'm sorry I switched to Italian without thinking that other people
could be interested. I proposed the translation "Tensore" from
"tendere" (in French "tendre", then maybe Tenseur???) or to keep the
english word (BTW, it looks like the Italian "Spanna", also Span in
english, has the same origin as "Spanner")

Right now I see that this word "Tensore" is used in mathematics
(english Tensor, french Tenseur) - I don't know...

Ciao, TG