Re: Re:[for Italian users] how to translate "spanner"?

From: martinwguy
Subject: Re: Re:[for Italian users] how to translate "spanner"?
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 15:40:30 +0200

Hi
   Instead of reinventing the Italian terminology for items in musical
typography to our own tastes,
I can point to on and ask an Italian classical musician what it is
called in Italian.
   Yes, of course, literally it "spans" (in the sense of
"encompasses") something but, for all we know, the correct term could
be anything.
  If someone can point me at a "volta spanner" I'll show it to an
Italian typographer or musician and ask "what's this called?"