Re: [for Italian users] how to translate "spanner"?

From: Tiresia GIUNO
Subject: Re: [for Italian users] how to translate "spanner"?
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 16:35:38 +0200

On Fri, 24 Aug 2012 13:03:24 +0100
"Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Phil Holmes wrote Friday, August 24, 2012 12:42 PM
>
> > From: "Felipe Castro" <address@hidden>

> >> I agree. And this makes me think about my translation to esperanto,
> >> where I used the word "disigi" (spread), and now I see I should
> >> change it to "etendi" (extend).
> >>
> >> Han-Wen, instead of "spanner", in English, would you use
> >> "extender"? I'm not asking to change, just wondering if both words
> >> are equivalent in this case.
> >
> > Replying as a native English speaker.  No, I don't believe I
> > would.  An extender would be something that makes something extend
> > - i.e. makes it longer.  A spanner (in this context) is something
> > that spans.  So we could call a bridge a river spanner (although I
> > don't believe anyone ever actually would).
>
> I agree.  A spanner implies bridging between two equivalent end
> points. An extender would imply something already exists and is just
> made longer. A direction is often implied - the road was extended
> from A to B.
>
> Trevor

As I wrote (in Italian) in my previous post, you can translate both
verbs in Italian this way:

        to extend = estendere
        to span = tendere

For the nouns:

        Extender = Estensore
        Spanner = Tensore or Tenditore

All these nouns are used in Italian, but in a quite specific way (you
can have a look in Google Images). "Tensore" is used in Mathematics
and in anatomy for Muscles (also in English):

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscolo_tensore_della_fascia_lata
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensor_fasciae_latae_muscle

The same is true for French (Tenseur) and Spanish (Tensor), as it comes
from Latin.

While I can agree that Tensore/Tenseur/Tensor is not so used and
understandable as Spanner, it looks to me that Estensore/Extenseur is
wrong. An object has a certain Extension or can be extended, but
spanning keep a Tension.

I'm not sure that there is a similar Italian word in typography, but
for sure no musician will know anything about it.

Ciao, TG