Re: collisions - bug or no bug?

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: collisions - bug or no bug?
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 18:56:08 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Klaus Föhl" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2012 6:46 PM
Subject: collisions - bug or no bug?

bottom-posting

Hello,

Minimal code 1: notes g and a collide

\version "2.15.42"
\new Staff
<<
 { \new Voice \voiceOne c'' }
 { \new Voice \voiceOne g' }
 { \new Voice \voiceTwo a' }

Well, yes. You've told them to collide, so they do and the text output warns you. To avoid this:

\version "2.15.42"
\new Staff
<<
 { \new Voice \voiceOne c'' }
 { \new Voice \voiceThree g' }
 { \new Voice \voiceTwo a' }

I see your comment below, but you must put non-chord notes in different voices. Use spacer rests when you have no notes for a specific voice.

Minimal code 2: fermata prints on top on note

\version "2.15.42"
\new Staff
<<
 { \new Voice \voiceOne d'1 }
 { \new Voice \voiceTwo a'1_\fermata }

Probably not the best layout, but you've got voice two above voice one, which is not really how it should be - voice one should generally be the upper voice.

Explanation for first report: came across while noting some choir music
with Tenor and Bass within the same staff, \voiceOne and \VoiceTwo
then at some point having Bass I and II. Not wanting to note chords
as with a different formatting individual Bass I and Bass II voices
needed. Also not wanting to introduce \voiceThree as unsplit Bass
notes should still merge. Hence simultaneous notes within \voiceOne.

Regards

Klaus

--
Phil Holmes