Re: "StaffPartCombine" i.e. combine different *staves* on a single staff

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: "StaffPartCombine" i.e. combine different *staves* on a single stafffeature request
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 05:09:13 +0000 (UTC)

j-f.lucarelli <j-f.lucarelli <at> espace-midi.com> writes:

(paraphrasing in English)
> [This arrangement comes up mostly in miniature study scores, where there
> is no space to waste. In cases like Strauss' "Also Sprach Zarathustra"
> where parts split and re-combine in different combinations, we might need
> to help LilyPond.]

There is now an Enhancement Request on the bug tracker
<http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2779>

The request is for automatic combination of parts, written as if they were
on separate staves, but printed on one staff when they are identical.

LilyPond supports better the alternative method, writing the parts on
one staff, and creating a temporary staff when they divide.
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2011-09/msg00482.html>