drummode and notemode

From: Curt
Subject: drummode and notemode
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 12:17:11 -0700

I have an orchestral film cue where a percussionist waits a few bars, plays a few glockenspiel notes, waits several bars, and switches to suspended cymbal for a roll.  It seems a waste of score space to make it two separate staves.  But I am having trouble figuring out how to switch from \drummode to \notemode in the same staff (or vice versa).  Here's the shortest example I can come up with that illustrates the problem.  Is there a way to either put melody notes in a DrumStaff, or drummode in a normal Staff?  The documentation led me to believe the below approach should work (not sure if that's the documentation's problem or my problem.  :-)  ).

Thanks again,
Curt

\version "2.16.00"
\include "english.ly"