Re: Hiding staff without hiding bar lines

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: Hiding staff without hiding bar lines
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 08:15:04 +0200

Il 30/08/2012 03:58, Michael Rivers ha scritto:
I'm a relatively new LilyPond user, so I apologize if this is something I
should have found in the manual. I'm trying to use LilyPond to make
worksheets and theory tests, so I need to hide elements for students to fill
in themselves. I also need to notate rhythms without a staff. I know that
rhythms can be notated on a one-line percussion staff, but I really prefer
the look of no staff with full bar lines.

I've figured out how to hide clefs, time signatures, bar lines and the
entire staff. My problem is that \stopStaff seems to also hide all bar
lines. Often, this is what I want, but other times I need the bar lines to
be visible. Is there another way to hide the staff, or is there a way to
make the bar lines reappear with \stopStaff?

-Michael

I can't help you.
I've tried the following but it doesn't work.
I wouldn't expect that removing the staff lines only removes also the bar lines:

\version "2.16.0"

\relative c' {
  \override Staff.StaffSymbol #'line-count = #0
  f4 g a b
  % let's try to force the visibility of barlines. Doesn't work..
  \override Staff.BarLine #'stencil = ##t
  f4 g a b