Changing quarter tone notation

From: Arle Lommel
Subject: Changing quarter tone notation
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 08:48:03 +0200

As a separate question from the last, does anyone know of a simple way to override the quarter-tone notation in Lilypond? In particular, I want to replace half sharps with an upward arrow over the note, which is the de facto standard in the particular ethnomusicological area I work in. While the half sharp is clear enough, expectations in my field are for the arrow, which I know in other contexts may not be as clear (since it may indicate microtonal variation of less than a quarter tone).

For example, I have this output now from Lilypond:

But this is what I would like to see:

I don't want to do this as a hack with text markup, but rather have cih simply equal the c note head with the arrow above so that the underlying music code actually represents the pitches rather than entering c with some markup to make it look like cih.

Any suggestions?

Best,

Arle Lommel