Re: Hiding staff without hiding bar lines

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Hiding staff without hiding bar lines
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 09:30:52 +0200

Federico Bruni <address@hidden> writes:

> Il 30/08/2012 03:58, Michael Rivers ha scritto:
>> I'm a relatively new LilyPond user, so I apologize if this is something I
>> should have found in the manual. I'm trying to use LilyPond to make
>> worksheets and theory tests, so I need to hide elements for students to fill
>> in themselves. I also need to notate rhythms without a staff. I know that
>> rhythms can be notated on a one-line percussion staff, but I really prefer
>> the look of no staff with full bar lines.
>>
>> I've figured out how to hide clefs, time signatures, bar lines and the
>> entire staff. My problem is that \stopStaff seems to also hide all bar
>> lines. Often, this is what I want, but other times I need the bar lines to
>> be visible. Is there another way to hide the staff, or is there a way to
>> make the bar lines reappear with \stopStaff?
>>
>> -Michael
>>

> I can't help you.
> I've tried the following but it doesn't work.
> I wouldn't expect that removing the staff lines only removes also the
> bar lines:

It doesn't remove the barlines, but with a height of zero, you are not
likely to notice the difference.

> \version "2.16.0"
>
> \relative c' {
>   \override Staff.StaffSymbol #'line-count = #0
>   f4 g a b
>   % let's try to force the visibility of barlines. Doesn't work..
>   \override Staff.BarLine #'stencil = ##t

##t is not a stencil anyway (neither is ##f, but it is a shorthand for
"switch it off").

I tried \override BarLine #'bar-extent = #'(-2 . 2) instead (from the
definition of RhythmicStaff in ly/engraver-init.ly), but it seems it
would need at least one line.

However, instead of meddling with the line-count (which also affects
layout), you can just let the lines have no appearance: I find that

  \override Staff.StaffSymbol #'stencil = ##f
  \override Staff.LedgerLineSpanner #'stencil = ##f

seems to do the trick (assuming that you don't want to see ledger lines
either; omit the last line if that assumption is wrong).

--
David Kastrup