Re:LC_PAPER and default paper size

From: Felipe Castro
Subject: Re:LC_PAPER and default paper size
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 08:40:44 -0300

> I want to make the scores available to everybody.  I want users across
> the world to be able to find the music, create the PDF and print it
> with no problems on the paper they have.
>
> Specifying \paper would make the choice for the users.  Printers might
> ask for paper that is not readily available.  Actually, Mutopia
> doesn't want \paper to be specified.

If the printer has just letter size paper to print an A4 PDF-file,
will not the PDF-reader be able to stretch it a little bit, so that
the content will fit to the new size and aspect ratio?

>> More often than not, the global staff size and manual tweaks are set to
>> achieve a certain page layout.  If LilyPond changed its behavior on
>> different computers, stuff would stop working without the user having a
>> clue that this was not intended output.
>
> Now that's a strong argument against LC_PAPER.  I'm guilty of making
> such tweaks too.

And also, the good thing with those environment variables is that most
users should be used to them. The bad thing is that most users don't
know them.

Felipe