Re: giant bar numbers

From: Curt
Subject: Re: giant bar numbers
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 01:34:22 -0700

On Aug 30, 2012, at 10:14 PM, Nick Payne wrote:

> On 31/08/12 15:10, Nick Payne wrote:
>> On 31/08/12 13:00, Curt wrote:
>>> For film scoring, it's common to want giant bar numbers in the middle of
>>> the score.  Does anyone have ideas on how to center bar numbers above a
>>> bar, as opposed to them being aligned to the bar line?  With that, I'm
>>> thinking I can create an invisible staff that has no engraver except for
>>> the bar-number-engraver, and then giving it a very large font.  It'd be
>>> just above Violin 1 in the orchestral score.  I think that way they'll be
>>> nicely aligned vertically - I'm just not sure how to center them.
>>
>> Have a look at http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=651
>
> Maybe https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2445 provides a
> better solution (scroll to the bottom to get the latest version of the code).
>
> Nick

Wow!  Thanks.  That's some advanced stuff, there.  Hopefully it'll be
incorporated soon into lilypond itself.

To ensure horizontal alignment throughout, I used the second option.  After
including the scheme, I used:

\layout {
  \context {
    \Global
    \grobdescriptions #my-grob-descriptions
    #my-event-classes
  }
  \context{
    \RhythmicStaff
    \consists \measureCounterEngraver

      \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
      \remove "Clef_engraver"
      \override BarLine #'transparent = ##t
      \override StaffSymbol #'line-count = #0

and also

        \new RhythmicStaff = "MeasureNumbers" {
                \override Staff.MeasureCounter #'font-encoding = #'fetaText
                \override Staff.MeasureCounter #'font-size = #+4
                \measureCounterStart
                s2.*42
                \measureCounterEnd