giant time signatures for orchestral scores

From: Curt
Subject: giant time signatures for orchestral scores
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 02:23:55 -0700

I'm working with a film score that needs giant time signatures.  I saw this snippet (http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=272) but the convention I see more often is giant (tall, skinny) time signatures that span multiple staves (vertically).  Film scores are often sight-read even as their meters change all the time, so the conductors prefer the meters to be obvious, and not on their own line.  I'm pasting one visual example but I've seen them much taller/skinnier, even spanning most staves in an orchestral score.

I made some progress by removing Time_signature_engraver from all the staves in my orchestral score, and adding something to the woodwind group and the string group, like so:

\new StaffGroup = "StaffGroup_woodwinds" \with {
\consists Time_signature_engraver
\time 3/4
\override TimeSignature #'font-size = #16
    \override TimeSignature #'extra-offset = #'(0 . -20)
}
<<
\new Staff = "Staff_flute1" \with { \remove Time_signature_engraver } {

The resultant score looks like the pasted image... but I'm wondering if anyone has already figured out a better way, or ways to make them taller/skinnier and aligned more automatically?