Re: bookpart, titles and table-of-contents

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: bookpart, titles and table-of-contents
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2012 22:15:59 +0200

Il 03/09/2012 00:06, Christopher R. Maden ha scritto:
I'm writing a book where there are normal pieces, which need a page
>    break and so \bookpart is ok. But there are also some short
>  exercises, each in a separate file, and I don't want a page break
>  after each small exercise. OTOH, if I decide not to use \bookpart
>  in those files, the title won't be printed unless I set
>  print-all-headers to ##t in the book file; but if I do so, the
>  titles of files using \bookpart are duplicated. I don't know why..
I’m pretty sure the main purpose of \bookpart is to start a new
page...  You might be able to override the page break, but I am not
enough of a guru to know how offhand (and a cursory search turned
nothing up).

Maybe the only way to get what I want is not using bookpart for the exercises (small pieces), which must not be separated by a page break. I may put the title in "piece", tweaking it a bit to make it resemble to a title:

\score {
  \music
  \header {
    piece = \markup \fill-line {
        \bold \fontsize #4 "Title"

This way I don't need print-all-headers, which means I can still use \bookpart for the real pieces.