Re: Mensural clefs

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Mensural clefs
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 12:13:00 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kastrup" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2012 10:28 AM

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

I've started setting a bit of mensural music, from Dufay.  All of the
music uses a C clef, similar to the mensural-c.  However, the gap
between the upper and lower half of the clef is _exactly_ centred on
the c staff line. Compare this with the lilypond mensural C clef -
it's centred on the B below.  This seems wrong to me.  All the other C
clefs are centred on the C. Do we know why?

No idea, but this does not exactly seem new:
<URL:http://dvoi.com/files/lilypond/2.8.1/Documentation/user/lilypond/Ancient-clefs.html>

Huh.

--
David Kastrup

It's looking to me increasingly that it's been considerably wrong for a considerable time:

\new MensuralVoice  {
 \relative c' {
   \clef "mensural-c1"
   c\breve
   \clef "neomensural-c1"
   c\breve
   \clef "petrucci-c1"
   c\breve

Surely these should all put the note on the same staff line??

--
Phil Holmes