Markup Query - reply to Reedmace Star

From: Peter Gentry
Subject: Markup Query - reply to Reedmace Star
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 16:50:40 +0100

Reedmace Star <address@hidden>
Said

Well, the point of the column commands like \column or \center-column is
to arrange text vertically, so each unquoted word, quoted string or
markup piece in TEXT ends up on a line of its own.

Hence, you have to group everything that is supposed to go on one line
into one markup object. In this case, writing \line { TEXT } instead of
TEXT seems like the way to go.

By the way, your combination of \fill-line { "" ... "" }, \column and
\center-column looks rather redundant.

HTH,

R.S.

Yes exactly what I was after but I had no luck searching manuals, had I tried
concat instead of concatonate I would have had a hit.
Never came across \line.

I agree with you about the \fill-line syntax but this was taken from one of the
manuals, there was no explanation of the syntax so I
copied it verbatim.

Thanks for your response I seem to have had short shrift from the experts for
various unintended infaractions of list etiquette.

I must not reply to a list message and always cut and past into a new message
for address@hidden
I have written this out one hundred times but thought best not to copy it to
the list.....:)

regards
Peter Gentry