Re: notation for stopping the strings using left hand fingers.

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: notation for stopping the strings using left hand fingers.
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 18:09:56 +0200

Am 04.09.2012 17:14, schrieb Joseph Harfouch:
Hi,

I am trying to write down an example of Mutlu Torun's book on Oud method,
where he uses a notation of a comma and a finger number on top of the comma
and to the right of given note presumably to indicate that the string should
be stopped from vibrating (in order to mute the note) using that finger. The
Turkish playing technique is called carpma and a further discussion of this
topic and an example of this notation is posted in this thread on Mike Oud
Forum :
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=5166

I looked in the LilyPond manual but I cannot find any similar notation that
I can use. Any ideas of how I can write this down using LilyPond?
I experimented with \breathe:

\version "2.17.2"

numberedBreathe = #(define-music-function (parser location str) (string?)
  #{
     \once \override BreathingSign #'Y-offset = #4
\once \override BreathingSign #'text = \markup { \override #'(baseline-skip . 0.5)
          \center-column { \small #str \musicglyph #"scripts.rcomma" } }
     \breathe
 #})

{
c4 c \numberedBreathe "2" c c \numberedBreathe "4" c c
}

seems to work quite nicely.

Regards,

Marc