Re: beam across larger rest

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: beam across larger rest
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 18:10:26 -0500

Hi David,

> 2012/9/4 David Bobroff <address@hidden>:
>> In this example I have a beam going across a rest larger than the beam
>> value.
>>
>> \version "2.16.0"
>>
>> \relative {
>>   { d16-[ r r8 e16-] r r8 }
>> }
>>
>> The 16th beam breaks over the 8th rest.  Is it possible to extend the
>> 16th beam across the 8th rest like this?:

You can play around with an override to the 'beaming property of the
individual stems under the beam (and create ridiculous results while
you're trying to figure out how it works!)

This gets you the effect in the image:

\version "2.16.0"

\relative {
  { d16-[
  \override Stem #'beaming = #'((1 0) 1 0)
  r r8
  \revert Stem #'beaming
  e16-] r r8 }
}

If I'm understanding it correctly, this means for the second and third
"stems," you are specifying two beams to left and right. 0 is the top
beam, and 1 is the beam next in toward the note.

HTH,
David