Re: chords as markups?

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: chords as markups?
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 09:04:41 +0200

On 6 sept. 2012, at 08:49, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

>> unpure-pure stuff is:
>>
>> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/unpure_002dpure-containers
>
> Looking more closely at this page, I don't fully understand how it
> works.  It is stated that the unpure-pure stuff affects y-axis
> calculations, but the given example adjusts the *width*:
>
>  In the first measure, without the unpure-pure container, the spacing
>  engine does not know the width of the note head [...]
>
> How comes?  I think this deserves some more explanation.
>

>    Werner

Hey Werner,

You can check out the CG link for info about how the lilypond spacing engine
works with unpure-pure-containers.  As there is no info in the users manual
about the nitty gritty of horizontal spacing, James and I decided to leave out
the "why" and just focus on the "what to do."

After reading the CG stuff, If you feel any info should be brought over to the
users manual, post a patch and we can discuss it.  And, of course, if after
reading the CG stuff is still unclear on how they work, lemme know.

Cheers,
MS