Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 118, Issue 36

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 118, Issue 36
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 15:09:18 +0200

"Peter Gentry" <address@hidden> writes:

>>Message: 3
>>Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2012 11:53:30 +0200
>>From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
>>To: address@hidden
>>Subject: Re: Markup query
>>
>>"Peter Gentry" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> Another puzzle arises from the use of user defined variables a
>>> variable xtext="aaaabbbcc dd" can be
>>> can often be used but in markup but in some circumstances it cannot -
>>> ie \justify-string \xtext (or #\xtext)fails whereas
>>> \justify-string #"aaaabbcc dd" works. When # is required the variable
>>> \xtext cannot be used.
>>
>>To some degree.  All of the following work:
>>
>> xtext="aaaabbbcc dd"
>>
>>\markup \justify-string #"aaaabbbcc dd"
>>\markup \justify-string #xtext
>>\markup \justify { #"aaaabbbcc dd" }
>>\markup \justify { #xtext }
>>\markup \justify { \xtext }

Actually the minute details differ apparently since justify-string looks
at spaces.  To get the same, you need to do something like

\markup \justify #(string-tokenize xtext)

> Maybe but not in 2.14.2?

Indeed.  2.14.0 has been released in June 2011, and 2.14.2 adds just bug
fixes on top of that.

>>That's the reason we have a separate tutorial for starting.  Yes,
>>LilyPond is complex.  We try to keep it simple for simple things, and
>>the explanations simple for simple things.  That might not always be as
>>successful as everybody wants.
>>
>>--
>>David Kastrup
>>
> The learning manual is exemplary I just think it needs a companion
> manual - "Now you think you know Lilypond read this"

That's the notation manual.  And then there is the Extending LilyPond
manual...

> I have now downloaded 2.16.0 and Phil Holmes' Noteworthy Composer
> converters. These are an enormous improvement on the old.

Yes, we certainly want people to move over to 2.16.  There will be
2.16.1 eventually with a few accumulated fixes, but those are rather
small.

--
David Kastrup