Re: chords as markups?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: chords as markups?
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 08:52:38 +0200 (CEST)

>> . First of all, `make-XXX-stencil' seems to be completely
>>   undocumented.  At least I can't find those functions in the
>>   reference (except some unsystematic usage here and there).
>
> I'm not sure who made them or when they made it into LilyPond, but
> you're certainly welcome to post a patch documenting them - I think
> it'd be helpful to have that documented.

Indeed.  However, those functions already have documentation attached
to it (which could be certainly extended where necessary) in the
source code, so I wonder whether it is possible to extract them
mechanically, as is already done for other Scheme files.

>> . I would expect that both `make-circle-stencil' and
>>   `make-filled-box-stencil' produce something which has a natural
>>   height.
>
> They do.  It's just that LilyPond doesn't know that they will
> because they're functions.  Whenever LilyPond doesn't know if a
> function will return a natural height, she assumes it won't.  [...]
> LilyPond will simply ignore the function all together because there
> is no guarantee that it is pure [...].  This is why it needs to be
> wrapped in an unpure-pure container.

Aah.  This is the missing link.  For me it would be fully sufficient
if you add the above to the documentation.

> I'll revisit the CG and find a way to better explain this.

Thanks!

    Werner