Re: automatically left-aligning custom dynamics

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: automatically left-aligning custom dynamics
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 09:49:33 +0200

james <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't really understand it, but I can modify the examples of how to create
> custom dynamics to get what I want.
> I have a document with several examples like:
> rinforzamf = #(
>    make-dynamic-script (
>       markup #:line (
>       #:left-align
>       #:normal-text
>       #:whiteout
>       #:italic "rinforza"
>       #:hspace 0
>       #:whiteout
>       #:dynamic "mf"
>       )
>   )
> )

Note that you can write this as

rinforzamf =
#(make-dynamic-script
   #{ \markup \line { \left-align \normal-text \whiteout
                            \italic "rinforza"
                      \hspace #0
                      \whiteout \dynamic "mf" }
   #})

if you want to.  It then becomes more straightforward meddling with it,
though this is not really relevant here.

> And a macro that left-aligns it:
> leftalign = { \once \override Dynamics.DynamicText #'self-alignment-X = #-1 }

> Heretofore, I've just been manually adding the \leftalign before the
> \rinforzamf (for example). Is there a way to get both of these in one
> command?

Ok, here is the deal: this is an override, which is something happening
at a single timestep to _everything_ in the current context.  If you
want to combine them, you rather want a tweak, which is something with
its effect confined to what you are tweaking.

rinforzleft = \tweak DynamicText #'self-alignment-X #-1 \rinforzmf

should do the trick.

--
David Kastrup