Re: notation for stopping the strings using left hand fingers.

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: notation for stopping the strings using left hand fingers.
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 21:12:08 +0200

Hello Joseph,

Am 09.09.2012 09:11, schrieb Joseph Harfouch:
Hi Marc,

I had a chance to experiment with this on the weekend. I had problems using
lilypond-book as some files were missing but I didn't investigate them much
because I noticed you put release "2.17.2" and I am using "2.12.3.4" which
is part of my Ubuntu Linux release. I just wanted to ask if I have to wait
for the "2.17.2" release to come out to get my fix?
I don't have 2.12 around, so I am not sure whether it works with 2.12.
Perhaps #str has to be replaced by $str or something like that ...
On the other hand, I recommend using 2.16 – it is available on the
lilypond website and the installation routine works out of the box
on ubuntu.
And 2.16 is *so much* better ;-)

[...]
By the way, this notation seems like magic to me! I work in programming but
I don't know how you come up with a fix like this! Where do I learn how to
do this? Don't waste too much time, just give me a quick reference if you
don't mind.
There is no magic involved, but for the general use of music
function, have a look at

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/substitution-function-syntax

In this special case, I saw that your example looked very much like \breathe,
so I used the LSR:

http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Search?q=breathe

to find out which glyph is used for it.

Afterwards,

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/text-markup-commands

shows how to center-align the number and the breathe mark and to narrow them by
decreasing the baseline skip.

Also, I would like to acknowledge everyone that helps me in my book if it
ever comes out, so put your full name if you like, or I can just mention
your first name if that is ok by you.
You can decide, either Marc or Marc Hohl is fine for me.

Regards,

Marc