Subject: Re: lilypond manual intro

From: Peter Gentry
Subject: Subject: Re: lilypond manual intro
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 09:28:56 +0100

Having had my share of gripes re the manuals I am now a "born again" supporter
- they are great (not perfect) but great.

I recommend that you download all the relevant manuals as pdfs to a folder
withing your Lilypond data file group and use the
information. As an example I noticed that \markuplines now
produces an error message - one quick search for \markuplines found the changes
manual which explained a rename - took about 20
seconds (mostly slow grey cell time).

The notation manual is particularly good - the learning manual is fine never
seen a problem with writing exclusively in absolute.

Like most normal people I find relative hard to get my head round and always
end up with the wrong octave somewhere or other usually
ending up beyond the range of the human ear. If you import music from other
programs absolute is the way to go - why is relative
favoured so much? Imagine reading a printed score if it used relative notation
(if that were possible).

regards
Peter Gentry