Re: Colliding dynamics with barlines

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Colliding dynamics with barlines
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 05:51:40 +0000 (UTC)

George_ <georgexu149 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I notice that this has been reported before , though I'm not sure what's
> been done with it in the last 5 years.

You can see the story here
 <http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=621>

I prefer to first ask LilyPond to move note-columns so the dynamics clear

  \override GrandStaff.DynamicText #'extra-spacing-width = #'(-0.5 . 0.5)

Then in specific cases I can choose to offset the dynamic from the note

   \once\override DynamicText #'X-offset = #-0.5

and the note-column goes right back where it belongs, based on rhythm, if I
offset enough.  (LilyPond is not yet smart enough to automatically choose
the offset.)