Re: partcombine and instrumentSwitch

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: partcombine and instrumentSwitch
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 10:53:05 +0200

Keith OHara <address@hidden> writes:

> Jan-Peter Voigt <jp.voigt <at> gmx.de> writes:
>
>> I am using partcombine in a piece, wich makes use of instrumentSwitch.
>> Now this leads to a stack of 4 times "piccolo" in this example.
>
>> Is this a bug or am I missing something?
>> Is it maybe related to this issue 2253?
>
> It is different from issue 2253 because, even with multiple separate voices
> and no use of \partcombine, we would not want multiple individual "piccolo"
> indications.  This came up before at
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2011-11/msg00180.html
>
> You can use
>
> \layout {
>   \context {\Voice \remove "Instrument_switch_engraver" }
>   \context {\Staff \consists "Instrument_switch_engraver" }
> }
>
> And I will post a suggestion on the bug-tracker to make this the default,
> unless anyone here knows a reason to have instrument-change information set
> individually for each voice.

It is often a tossup whether you are better off using the partcombiner
on voices, or just \voiceOne/\voiceTwo.  If, say, one of two oboes
switches instruments, you just want to see this for its own voice.

In fact, I find that for things like two oboes, you are almost always
better off using separate voices.  The partcombiner is more interesting
if you try creating a piano extract or similar, where there is only one
executing instrument.

--
David Kastrup