Re: partcombine and instrumentSwitch

From: Jan-Peter Voigt
Subject: Re: partcombine and instrumentSwitch
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 11:17:09 +0200

Hi David,

On 14.09.2012 10:53, David Kastrup wrote:
It is often a tossup whether you are better off using the partcombiner on voices, or just \voiceOne/\voiceTwo. If, say, one of two oboes switches instruments, you just want to see this for its own voice. In fact, I find that for things like two oboes, you are almost always better off using separate voices. The partcombiner is more interesting if you try creating a piano extract or similar, where there is only one executing instrument.
I totally agree ... but: The piece I am working on is a partitura for piece where flute II uses a piccolo in a few cases. For the two oboes, where oboe II sometimes uses an english horn, I use 2 staffs. For this flute/piccolo case, this decision is a question of space ... so now I can split violine I&II in two staffs to prevent collisions because of voice-crossing (english term? ;) ) For all the other divided instruments (fagott, trumpet) the partcombiner is totally fine. I can override the solo- and a-due-texts to e.g. "(flt I)" and "zu 2" like in the manuscript. Well this is to discuss with the one, who is actually using this piece ;-)

Cheers,
Jan-Peter