Re: Compress Full Bar Rests

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Compress Full Bar Rests
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 11:20:32 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jan Nieuwenhuizen" <address@hidden>
To: "Hugh Resnick" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2012 10:24 AM

Hugh Resnick writes:

Consider lumping your measures together, so: s1*3 instead of s1 s1 s1

—Josiah

Perfect. Thank you so much.

I'd like to ask some more silly questions here

 * why is this [*3] necessary?

It appears to be a feature of lilypond that R1*3 will compress, but R1 R1 R1 won't. The same applies to spacers. It could be argued this is good, since it allows fine control of what is compressed and what isn't....

and if it is necessary, then

 * why isn't it obvious?

It's slightly reasonable from the explanation above.

and if it isn't obvious, then

 * why does the documentation fail?

Because no-one has documented it. I should say "patches welcome" but if I did everyone would kill me :-)

Jan

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar®  http://AvatarAcademy.nl

--
Phil Holmes