Re: Ambitus-Bug

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Ambitus-Bug
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2012 20:03:09 +0000 (UTC)

PMA <PeterArmstrong <at> aya.yale.edu> writes:

> Keith OHara wrote:
> >
> > Maybe by default LilyPond could break the ties based on staff-position,
>
> Might \naturalizeMusic specifically target Ambitus?

I would think that the desired output is to show the versions that indicate
the full range of staff-positions, rather than the versions with fewest
accidentals, for practical use of the ambitus.

That is, consider E-sharp lower than F, and G-sharp lower than A-flat
(in the default case where LilyPond uses 12-equal divisions of the octave
for the pitches, so that the pitches themselves are tied).

(I do, in fact, agree that in any context where you would see E-sharp and F
in the same piece, the E-sharp indicates the lower pitch, or at least the
conceptually-lower pitch.)

The actual request on the but tracker, on the other hand, suggests using
the version that best-fits the key signature.  (I suppose the first key
signature in the piece, in case it changes.)