Re: RemoveEmptyStaffContext and merge rests snippet not co-operating

From: Frank Steinmetzger
Subject: Re: RemoveEmptyStaffContext and merge rests snippet not co-operating
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 17:09:22 +0200

On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 01:17:35AM -0700, eluze wrote:

> Frank Steinmetzger wrote
> >

> > While the empty staves get removed as expected, using this feature breaks
> > the
> > merge-rests code -- I get two rests above each other.
> >

> for me it works - can you provide an example?

OK, finally I found the time to deal with this.  I found out that among the
things that \RemoveEmptyStaffContext changes are the settings that merge rests.

I attached a mini-example to demonstrate.  In my normal setup I have a global
include file which pre-defines some layout stuff.  It has a layout block which,
to enable merging of rests, contains:

\context {
  \Staff
  \override RestCollision #'positioning-done = #merge-rests-on-positioning
  \override MultiMeasureRest #'Y-offset = #merge-multi-measure-rests-on-Y-offset
}

I simulated this in my attached example by having a \layout block at the top
of the file.  The result is that, as soon as I add \RemoveEmptyStaffContext to
the score, the rests are no longer merged.  I need to repeat the code from the
global \layout block in the score's \layout (*below* \RemoveEmptyStaffContext).
--
Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any Facebook service.

They say memory is the second thing to go.  I forgot what the first thing was.