Re: not so nice horizontal spacing

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: not so nice horizontal spacing
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 13:29:49 +0200

2012/9/19 Nick Payne <address@hidden>:
> On 19/09/12 17:39, Stefan Thomas wrote:
>> Dear Janek,
>> I've read the discussion You have mentioned but I couldn't find a
>> solution there, a working command that reduces the discance between
>> the accidentals and the music.
>
> You can use Score.AccidentalPlacement #'right-padding, which has a
> default value of 0.15:
>
> \version "2.16.0"
>
> \relative c'' {
>   cis1
>   \override Score.AccidentalPlacement #'right-padding = #0.5
>   cis
>   \override Score.AccidentalPlacement #'right-padding = #-0.15
>   cis
>   \revert Score.AccidentalPlacement #'right-padding
>   cis
> }

Hi Stefan,

perhaps you may want to play around with my attempt below, including
some tries to affect accidental-spacing, overriding SpacingSpanner and
some other hack.
Please note that I didn't tweak the space between the first rest and
its following note.

\version "2.16.0"

\paper { ragged-right = ##t }

percussion = \drummode {
        \time 5/4
        r4 toml4
        % accessing spacing of a section
        \newSpacingSection
        \override Score.SpacingSpanner #'shortest-duration-space = #4
        % hack to insert some space at a specific place
        % also thinkable: set a transparent BreathingSign
        \grace s4
        tomml
        tomh r4
        % reverting to default
        \newSpacingSection
        \revert Score.SpacingSpanner #'shortest-duration-space
        \time 6/4
        tomml toml r4 r2 r4
}

right = {
        \clef bass
        r4 r8  <f gis b d' e'>8-. r2 r4
        R1.
}

left = {
        \clef bass
        r4 r8

        % tighter spacing of Accidental:
        \once \override Score. Accidental #'extra-spacing-width = #'(0.3 . 2)
        \once \override Score. Accidental #'X-extent = #'(-0.2 . 0.5)
        \once \override Score. AccidentalPlacement #'right-padding = #0.6

        <fis,  cis dis>8-.
        r2 r4
        R1.
}