Re: Four Bars per Line/System, again :)

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Four Bars per Line/System, again :)
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 08:21:26 -0500

Hi bthom,

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 12:51 AM, bthom <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm now wondering if there's a way to modify this 4-bars-per-line engraving
> function I found at the forum so that it does the following:
>
> 1. print a pickup partial measure on the right-hand side of a single line
> (not spanning entire line but using, say, the width that would make sense in
> proportional notation), followed by
> 2. some number of bars (an integer number times, say, 4), where then 4 per
> line would be engraved,
> 3. print a pickup partial measure afterword this integer number of times, on
> the left-hand side of the last line of the score (again in a proportional
> notation style).
>
> If I just add a partial above and below, the 4-per-line function gets
> screwed up.
>
> Aside: the reason I want to do this is that when playing for dances, say,
> its useful to keep track of where you are w/in a piece in terms of, say, 32
> bars. but the pickups in and out add the need for partials. what i want is a
> layout like this, e.g.:
>
>                                    intro p/u |
> ||: bar 1 | bar 2 | bar 3 | bar 4     |
>      bar . | bar . | bar . | bar .  :||
> exit p/u
>
> I can provide the code I've been playing w/presently if that would be
> helpful.

You could put a \break after the initial partial.  Something like this
(I'm leaving out the engraver definition found here:
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Snippet?id=838):

\relative c' {
  \partial 4 c
  \break
  \repeat unfold 12 {
    c c c c
  }
  \set Timing.measureLength = #(ly:make-moment 3 4)
  c c c
}

\layout {
  indent = 6\in
  ragged-last = ##t
  \context {
    \Score
    \consists #(bars-per-line-engraver '(4))

Guessing at the indentation isn't ideal, I know...

HTH,
David