Re: Possible feature request for 'q' shorthand or tie syntax

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Possible feature request for 'q' shorthand or tie syntax
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 10:53:25 +0200

> I'm particularly asking about making every note into a chord
> because that would make David's favorite <> construct a *lot* more
> consistent.  At the moment, we have
>   no note at a time unit: <>
>   single note at a time unit: c'4
>   multiple notes at a time unit: <c e g>4
>
> If c'4 was actually a shortcut for <c'>4, then we could have a
> consistent notion that every time unit in every voice is a chord;
> that chord may contain 0, 1, or many notes.

And \tweak would stop working on c'4 again unless you placed explicit
chord angle brackets around the construct, and lyric syllables would be
chords of their own and they can't be angle-bracket enclosed anyway, so
no tweaking here, and you can't assemble single notes into chords
anymore without unpacking them from their surrounding default chords...

This change was discussed and made a year ago.  It is documented in the
Changes section for 2.16, including rationale and consequences.  It was
extensively discussed on the developer list.  Even if you are not
interested in all the other advantages it brought, it was one of the
requisites to actually make q work according to its original
specification arrived at after extensive (unrelated) discussions.

It just does not make sense to discuss where one wants to be going when
one does not bother checking where one _stands_, and for what reasons
and how and from where one got there.

--
David Kastrup