Re: Problem with a specific font in header markup

From: Jim Long
Subject: Re: Problem with a specific font in header markup
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 13:01:14 -0700

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 01:00:57PM +0200, Urs Liska wrote:
> What does the PDF viewer tell you about embedded fonts?
> Does this give you any hints?

Thank you, Urs.

The PDF viewer doesn't say anything about embedded fonts.  xpdf's
only output is:

Error: No paper information available - using defaults

But your question gave me a clue, thank you.  Checking with
pdffonts shows that the font is not being embedded in the PDF.
But Lilypond doesn't give any indication of why not.

Lilypond (Ghostscript) does embed the Air Conditioner font:

$ pdffonts pdf-test-air.pdf
Error: No paper information available - using defaults
name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
SOQTHG+AirConditioner                TrueType          yes yes yes     10  0
GMBMHT+CenturySchL-Roma              TrueType          yes yes yes      8  0
WRKREI+Emmentaler-20                 Type 1C           yes yes no      13  0

But not the JazzText font:

$ pdffonts pdf-test.pdf
Error: No paper information available - using defaults
name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
GMBMHT+CenturySchL-Roma              TrueType          yes yes yes      8  0
WRKREI+Emmentaler-20                 Type 1C           yes yes no      13  0
JazzText-Regular                     TrueType          no  no  yes     10  0

The Scribus test PDF I created does have the JazzText font
embedded:

$ pdffonts /tmp/test.pdf
Error: No paper information available - using defaults
name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
JazzText-Regular                     TrueType          yes no  no      20  0
JazzText-Regular                     TrueType          yes no  yes     14  0
JazzText-Regular                     TrueType          yes no  yes     18  0

pdfinfo gives a clue: the 'Producer' attribute in the PDFs say
that Scribus uses its own PDF library, whereas LilyPond of course
uses Ghostscript, hence the difference in behaviour.  Now I know
why this is happening.

So for the immediate purposes of testing and seeing how the font
looks, I'll use the workaround of importing EPS into Scribus for
the time being.

Thanks again, Urs.